Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Biden administration appears to be in no rush to stop U.S. Steel takeover by Nippon Steel -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Biden administration appears to be in no rush to stop U.S. Steel takeover by Nippon Steel
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:14:59
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden has voiced his opposition to Nippon Steel buying U.S. Steel,NovaQuant but the federal government appears to be in no hurry to block the deal.
White House officials earlier this month did not deny that the president would formally block the acquisition. But the necessary report from the government’s Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States has yet to be submitted to the White House.
“It’s their process — it’s independent,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters Friday. “We have to see the recommendation from CFIUS. That’s the process.”
The proposed takeover carries some heavy political weight in Pennsylvania, a state that both Vice President Kamala Harris and Donald Trump view as a must-win in November’s presidential election. U.S. Steel is headquartered in Pittsburgh.
Biden, Harris and Trump have all come out against the deal. Biden is close with the United Steelworkers, the labor union whose members work for U.S. Steel and worry about the loss of job protections. Supporters of the merger note that U.S. Steel’s older mills could be shuttered without the improved corporate balance sheet that a merger could produce.
The Washington Post initially reported on Sept. 4 that the deal would be blocked by the federal government, only to then report on Friday that any ruling on the merger would be delayed.
veryGood! (252)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Alaska voters deciding a hard-fought race for the state’s only U.S. House seat, election issues
- Texas border districts are again in the thick of the fight for House control
- Taylor Swift watches Chiefs play Monday Night Football after end of US Eras Tour
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Ruby slippers from ‘The Wizard of Oz’ are for sale nearly 2 decades after they were stolen
- Marshon Lattimore trade grades: Did Commanders or Saints win deal for CB?
- Why are there no NBA games on the schedule today?
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Jayden Maiava to start over Miller Moss in USC's next game against Nebraska, per reports
Ranking
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Patrick Mahomes survives injury scare in Chiefs' overtime win vs. Buccaneers
- Golden Bachelor’s Theresa Nist Says Relocating Wasn’t the Only Factor Behind Gerry Turner Split
- Hugh Jackman roasts Ryan Reynolds after Martha Stewart declares the actor 'isn't funny'
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- McBride and Whalen’s US House race sets the stage for a potentially historic outcome
- The GOP expects to keep Kansas’ open House seat. Democratic Rep. Davids looks tough to beat
- A Guide to JD Vance's Family: The Vice Presidential Candidate's Wife, Kids, Mamaw and More
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
John Barrasso, Wyoming’s high-ranking Republican U.S. senator, seeks 3rd full term
Massachusetts Democrat Elizabeth Warren seeks third term in US Senate against challenger John Deaton
3-term Democrat Sherrod Brown tries to hold key US Senate seat in expensive race
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Utah Gov. Spencer Cox is expected to win reelection after his surprising endorsement of Trump
A pivotal Nevada Senate race is unusually quiet for the battleground state
Florida Sen. Rick Scott seeks reelection with an eye toward top GOP leadership post